The 2022 Commercial Victimisation Survey reported that 28% of all surveyed businesses had been subjected to a crime over the past 12 months, with burglary and theft being the two most common crimes to occur on business premises.
The survey also showed that Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) can be particularly vulnerable to the risk of burglary, usually due to their lower levels of security, having cash easily available or kept on the premises overnight, and fewer staff on shift during working hours.
These factors can increase their vulnerability to smash-and-grab or opportunistic burglaries, making them an 'easy target' for criminals. In fact, statistics show that a shocking 89% of SMEs experienced a theft-related incident in 2021.
In this article, we will address how CCTV systems can successfully deter burglars from targeting your business, outline how CCTV can be used to catch criminals, discuss the advantages of using CCTV for security, and explain how to choose the right CCTV system for your premises.
CCTV As A Deterrent
Installing a CCTV system is a simple and cost-effective way to reduce your business’ vulnerability to burglary and other theft-related incidents.
In fact, a 2017 article by The Guardian found that half of the 12 ex-burglars interviewed stated that they would target businesses and homes that did not have a CCTV system installed. On the other hand, businesses with a working CCTV system would be largely avoided, with the surveyed burglars placing CCTV at the top of their list of deterrents.
For many burglars, the risk of being captured on CCTV is simply too high. CCTV systems make it more likely that the perpetrator will be identified, while the video evidence can be used in court as compelling evidence against them.
As a result, CCTV acts as an effective deterrent, helping to prevent burglary before the damage is done.
How CCTV Can Be Used To Catch Burglars
If a crime does occur on a business premises, CCTV footage is often used by police to identify the perpetrator and collect evidence. And in cases where CCTV footage of the crime being committed exists, the chances of the crime being solved significantly increase.
By ensuring an effective CCTV system is installed throughout their premises, business owners can provide evidence of criminal activity to the police quickly and easily. This helps to ensure a smoother investigation and can be essential for catching the perpetrators.
More Advantages Of Using CCTV For Security
CCTV offers several other advantages to businesses in terms of crime prevention and reduction. These include:
• Around The Clock Surveillance - CCTV systems provide around-the-clock surveillance of your premises. This helps you to capture images of any suspicious activities – like for example, burglars ‘scoping out’ your property.
This, combined with footage of any crimes being committed, helps the authorities to build a fuller picture of the incident, making it more likely that the suspects will be apprehended.
• Remote Monitoring - Most modern CCTV systems offer the option of remote monitoring via a mobile phone or laptop. This means that you can keep an eye on your business from anywhere in the world - whether you’re at home, on a business trip, or enjoying time off.
• Employee Safety - Whether the threat is a burglar or a physical assailant, staff often suffer the brunt of criminal activity. By simply installing CCTV cameras in high-risk areas, you can create a safer working environment for your employees.
Choosing The Right CCTV System For Your Business
The type of CCTV system you use will affect how successfully it deters crime on your property and leads to the capture of those who do commit crimes.
Here are some of the things you should consider when choosing a CCTV system:
• Coverage: You should assess the size and layout of your premises to determine the number and types of cameras required. Consider areas that may be security weak spots, such as entrances, exits, storage rooms, and parking lots.
• Camera Resolution: High-resolution cameras are essential for capturing detailed footage. You should choose a CCTV system with high-definition (HD) or ultra-high-definition (UHD) cameras to ensure clear visibility. This will make it easier for police to identify perpetrators and collect vital information.
• Storage: Consider the amount of storage required to retain the recorded footage. This will depend on a variety of factors, such as the number of cameras, the desired recording duration, and the level of video quality. You should choose a system with enough storage capacity, and consider cloud-based storage to ensure data backup and easy access.
• Integration: If you already have existing security systems in place - such as access controls or intruder alarm systems - look for CCTV solutions that can integrate with them. This creates a centrally managed comprehensive security system, enhancing the efficiency of your devices. You should also consider the scalability of the system to accommodate future expansions or upgrades as your business grows.
• Professional Installation And Maintenance: You should always use a professional security service for installing a CCTV system. For instance, at KCS Projects, we are professional security providers who can assess your specific needs, recommend the right system, and provide ongoing maintenance and support.
A Full Picture Of Benefits
CCTV systems play a crucial role in the prevention and resolution of commercial burglaries.
The cameras can significantly reduce the risk of burglary, while the captured footage can be instrumental in catching perpetrators and serving as evidence in legal proceedings. In addition, CCTV systems offer several other advantages, such as 24/7 surveillance, remote monitoring, employee safety, evidence collection, and more.
By carefully considering your security needs and selecting the right CCTV system, you can protect your business and give yourself peace of mind knowing that you have taken proactive measures to safeguard your assets and staff.
To learn more about how to use CCTV to properly protect your business, contact our expert team!